Description of Program
The Love Your [Resilient] Block initiative invites organizations to submit project proposals that can transform their blocks with up to $1,500 and the support of City Departments. With these grant funds, winning groups can purchase supplies, engage their neighbors, and roll up their sleeves to build resilience their neighborhood – block by block! Projects may include, but are not limited to:
1. Creating Green Spaces: Community gardens, pocket parks, public spaces, or vacant lot cleanups
2. Implementing Stormwater Capture: Rain gardens, bioswales, green bump-outs, rain barrels
3. Enhancing Parks: Painting structures, creating garden beds, picnic areas, shrub / flower plantings
4. Streetscaping: Planting trees & flowers along curbs / entry-ways, sprucing up neighborhood signs
5. Removing Graffiti and Litter: Tire dumping, recycling waste, swapping graffiti for murals, etc.
6. Sprucing up of Pathways: Mulching / clearing overgrowth on trails, creating safe school walking routes
7. Encouraging Emergency Preparedness: Creating emergency kits, establishing phone trees, community cohesion plans, flood protection
This City of Pittsburgh initiative was initially developed as part of servePGH, the City’s high-impact service plan to engage citizen volunteers to tackle Pittsburgh’s greatest challenges.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
In order to qualify for the Love Your [Resilient] Block application process, each group must:
All projects meeting the above criteria will be eligible for consideration; however, we will prioritize projects that:
Grant Reporting Requirements
After project completion, grantees will be asked to submit photos of the block that was revitalized, and a written report that includes the number of blocks impacted, number of lots revitalized, square feet of graffiti removed, pounds of litter collected, number of trees planted, number of green spaces or community gardens created and other qualitative data to accompany it.
Post-Grant Contest Guidelines
All selected grantee organizations that complete projects according to grant requirements are eligible to compete in a contest for the most impressive block transformation, for which the best block revitalization project will receive up to $3,000 in additional funding. In September of 2017, City staff will evaluate projects based on how well the grantee:
In conducting the evaluation, staff will use:
The $3,000 in funds must be spent on additional site improvements on the same block as the project and used within six months of being awarded the funds. Use of funds must be approved by the City; and receipt of contest award is contingent upon final execution of a separate grant agreement with the City of Pittsburgh and compliance with all Love Your [Resilient] Block requirements.
Apply online here
Please do not hesitate to call 412-255-4795 or email email@example.com with any questions regarding the application.
For project guidance or questions about resilience, please contact one of our Resilience Consultants:
Alexander Cupo - firstname.lastname@example.org - 215-285-5030
Emily Costello - email@example.com - 814-360-6858
Mayor's Office of Service and Civic Engagement
512 City County Building | 414 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219