General Contractor License
A City of Pittsburgh General Contractor's License is required for all work performed under a Commercial Building Permit. A General Contractor license is also required for the following permits:
- Construction of new one or two family dwellings.
- Renovations and/or additions to one or two family dwellings that are rental or investment property.
- Demolition permits for commercial or residential structures.
How to Get a General Contractor's License
1) Download and complete the License Application.
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh:
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule below:
2017 Fee Schedule
The permit and license fees for the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections undergo periodic adjustments.
Please consult the current year Fee Schedule.
Note once a permit or license has been issued, refunds are not provided.
- Proof of identification, verifying age is 18 years or older.
- A certificate of insurance listing City of Pittsburgh as Certificate Holder showing:
- Proof of registration for all City Taxes, i.e. City Tax ID certificate from City Finance Department.
- Check or money order made payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh for License Fee.