Commercial Cooking Hood Suppression
A Commercial Cooking Hood Suppression permit is required to install a new Cooking Hood Suppression or to modify an existing Cooking Hood Suppression system.
All work under a Commercial Cooking Hood Suppression permit must be performed by a HVAC Contractor registered with the City of Pittsburgh.
How to Apply
- Submit the completed Cooking Hood Suppression Permit Application with check/money order and drawings to the Engineering Counter at 200 Ross St, 3rd floor or mail them to:
City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections staff reviews and processes the application. Please be aware that Commercial Cooking Hood Suppression permits are logged into our queue and processed in the order in which they are received. Once issued, the permit will be mailed to the registered General Contractor.
Items Required for Permit
- Cooking Hood Suppression Permit Application completed by the registered General Contractor with their original ink signature. Incomplete forms will be returned without processing the sprinkler application.
- Two sets of shop drawings.
- If work is related to a building permit, a copy of the approved building permit.
- A separate Commercial Cooking Hood permit, Fire Alarm and/or Electrical permit maybe required depending on scope of work.
- A check or money order for the permit fee.
The permit will list the assigned Fire Inspector and provide their phone number. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to arrange for all required inspections by contacting the Fire Inspector. Inspectors are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., and are in the field for the remainder of the day.
Required inspections include:
- A rough-in inspection before any work is concealed.
- A final inspection when all work is complete.
All Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections fees change annually. Please consult the Current Fee Schedule below:
2017 Fee Schedule
The permit and license fees for the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections undergo periodic adjustments.
Please consult the current year Fee Schedule.
Note once a permit or license has been issued, refunds are not provided.