The City of Pittsburgh requires that the operator of a non-residential parking place secure an annual Towing Permit before towing unauthorized vehicles from the location per Code of Ordinances, Title 7, Section 763. This ordinance does not apply to public streets, residential parking areas, abandoned vehicles, or lots that are attended or have physical barriers.
Please note that all business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance. Also, license holders with expired licenses will be required to pay a penalty fee in addition to a renewal fee.
How To Obtain A Towing License
- Download and complete the License Application.
- Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
- Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh
- In-person credit card payments are also accepted. A 2% plus $.25 transaction fee is charged on all card payments.
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
- Certificate of insurance listing the City of Pittsburgh as Certificate holder showing public liability insurance of not less than $100,000 for personal injuries and not less than $25,000 for property damage. See example.
- Valid Certificate of Occupancy describing the parking on the premises. New certificates can be obtained through the Department of Zoning and Development.
- Inspection - Once the completed application is received, an inspector will visit the site to check for compliance with applicable regulations.
- These regulations include those in the City Code as well as PennDOT signage regulations ( PA Code Sections 217.1).
- If there are violations, these will need to be corrected before the license can be issued.
- After the Inspector signs off, the Towing license will be issued.
- Check or money order made payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh for License Fee.
- In-person credit card payments are also accepted. A 2% plus $.25 transaction fee is charged on all card payments