Developing Operational Performance Targets
PittMAPS and department leaders selected a few Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that can be used to impact achieving the Mayor's Initiatives and Baseline Goals. Each of these KPIs will have a specific target goal value determined and be mapped/aligned back to the Mayor's Initiatives.
- Public Works might support the Mayoral Initiative & Baseline Goal "Safe and Clean Neighborhoods - Reduce the environment for crime" by determining a target value it can control.
"Increasing the number of graffiti abatements on public and private property by 200% to 140 per month".
- Building Inspection might support the Mayoral Initiative & Baseline Goal "Safe and Clean Neighborhoods - Strengthen neighborhoods" by determining a target value it can control.
"The number of code enforcement field inspections will increase by 5% to achieve 28,500."
Performance targets are an ongoing work-in-process to assess progress in accomplishing the Mayor's goals and a temporary "snapshot" of continuously managing accountability. PittMAPS staff meets periodically with City departments and City Council members to obtain input regarding operational performance targets for KPI reporting, and to map/align each KPI with one of the following initiatives and goals.
Safe and Clean Neighborhoods
- Increase civic involvement and transparency
- Reduce the environment for crime
- Strengthen neighborhoods
Economic Engine Development
- Nurture health care and education business sectors
- Connect people to jobs and jobs to people
- Enhance children's educational opportunities
- Promote diverse workforce and suppliers
- Continue the development along the rivers
- Solve legacy costs crises
- Determine actual costs of delivering services in a competitive manner
Governing Efficiently and Operating "Green"
- Enhance government services by measuring performance
- Deploy and utilize the best technology
- Collaborate with other local governments and agencies
- Accelerate "greening" the City
PittMAPS is not a short-term fix for anything! Determining how KPI's and Operational Performance Targets meaningfully link to the Mayor's Strategic Initiatives is not a trivial process. It is an ongoing process to use facts and data so leaders will know sooner where to do what. PittMAPS is a multi-year initiative focusing on entering information once, by both internal City employees and external customers, so that data goes everywhere. PittMAPS will be finding key performance indicators that measure those goals so the leaders of departments can quickly do the following:
- Can we see underlying operational costs and results to understand why?
Manage & Control
- How well-aligned are departmental resources and day-to-day operations with the Mayor's performance initiatives?
- How efficient and productive? Can we optimize?