Thank you for your interest in employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police. This web page is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police and is subject to change as needed.
We are not currently recruiting however, if you are interested in the position, you can submit an online Job Interest Card on our Online Employment Center which will ensure that you are contacted via email once the next recruitment period begins. We anticipate the next recruitment period to be in the Fall of 2014.
For Police applicants scheduled to take the upcoming Police Officer Oral Board Examination, you can view/print the Candidate Oral Exam Preparation Guide here.
This information is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police and is subject to change.
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application may be disqualified.
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Application Form and Supplemental questions for this position.
- At least 18 years of age at the time of filing application.
- A United States citizen.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License or a current valid driver's license from another state or the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Licenses must be presented at the time of filing application or prior to certification. PA driver's license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
- The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment and promotional background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
- Thirty (30) semester credits (or forty-five (45) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school are required at the time of application or by the date of the written examination. NOTE: Sixty (60) semester credits (or ninety (90) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school must be completed by the time your rank on the eligibility list is reached for processing for an academy class. If you do not meet the requirement at that time, you will be able to request a one year civil service education waiver/deferment.
- Education/Training Requirements
- Criminal History
- Veteran's Preference
- Civil Service Examinations
- Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission Tests
- Medical Examination and Psychological Suitability Evaluation
The City of Pittsburgh offers a wide variety of benefits to Police Officers, including:
$13.69 per hour while in Training Academy
$40,896 Police Officer First Year Salary for 2012
- Uniform Allowance
- Pension Plan
- Life, Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Holidays and Vacation
- Credit Union Membership
- Voluntary Retirement Savings (457) Plan
- Tuition Assistance
(Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.)
Listed below are promotional opportunities and specialty assignments within the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police.
- Assistant Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Chief of Police
- Bike Patrol
- Community Problem Solving
- Crime Analysis
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Stoppers
- Dignitary Security
- Motorcycle Patrol
- Personnel and Finance
- Research and Planning
- River Rescue and Patrol
- Special Emergency Response Team
- Special Events
- Special Task Force
- Training Academy
- Witness Protection
The City of Pittsburgh does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, age (40 and over), non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
For additional information, please call 412-255-2388.
The City of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D.