Please visit our online employment center to submit an interest card for the Police Officer position. This web page is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police and is subject to change as needed. Please visit www.joinpghpolice.com for recruitment information and apply on our Online Employment Center
This information is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police and is subject to change.
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application may be disqualified.
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Application Form and Supplemental questions for this position.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of filing application.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License or a current valid driver's license from another state or the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Licenses must be presented at the time of filing application or prior to certification. PA driver's license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
- The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment and promotional background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
- Thirty (30) semester credits (or forty-five (45) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school are required at the time of application or by the date of the written examination.
- NOTE: Sixty (60) semester credits (or ninety (90) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school must be completed by the time you are placed into an academy class. If you do not meet the requirement at that time, you will be able to request a one year civil service education waiver/deferment.
Additional Recruitment and Testing Information
- Education/training requirements
- Criminal history
- Veteran's preference
- Civil Service Examinations
- Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission Tests
- Medical examination and Psychological Suitability Evaluation
Police Officer Benefits
- Uniform allowance
- Pension plan
- Life, health, dental and vision Insurance
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Credit union membership
- Voluntary retirement savings (457) plan
- Tuition assistance
Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.