Those who apply for Firefighter Recruit must be:
- At least eighteen years of age at the time of filing the online application.
- A resident of the City of Pittsburgh at the time of filing the online application. Firefighters must continuously remain a Pittsburgh resident throughout employment.
- In excellent physical condition with vision corrected to at least 20/30.
- Possess a current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Must be able to obtain the Department of Public Safety, Fire Bureau-Driver's Certification of Emergency Apparatus and maintain it throughout employment.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the Pennsylvania Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
The City of Pittsburgh conducts a pre-employment and promotional background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation, as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered.
Interested potential firefighter recruits:
- Register online and submit an interest card for the position of Firefighter Recruit at our Online Employment Center.
- See if the position of Firefighter Recruit is available in our Online Employment Center
- Submit your online application for the Firefighter position.
- Remember to review the Critical Examination and Selection Information Sheet.
- Information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire is subject to change as needed.
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision and dental insurance
- Pension plan
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Uniform allowance
- Promotional opportunities
benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms