The official functions and duties of the City Clerk are set forth in Chapter 153 of the Pittsburgh Code. The following is a general summary of core services provided by the City Clerk's Office. Also take a look at our Goals and Objectives.
The City Clerk's Office provides City Council with centralized staff support under the direction of the City Clerk. The office serves as a document and information resource to the Council, all City departments, and the citizens of our city. The City Clerk is elected by members of City Council every three years and is responsible for the due, proper and faithful performance of all operational matters of City Council.
In addition to its overall mission of maintaining the official records of the City of Pittsburgh, the Office of the City Clerk also:
- Maintains custody, control, filing and storage of all legislation, books, papers, minutes and other written and recorded documents and materials pertaining to the operation of City government.
- Oversees, guides and tracks the entire legislative process, from introduction of proposed legislation to final approval and publication.
- Creates agendas for all Council members.
- Coordinates and schedules official City Council meetings and public hearings, recording each for permanent record
- Accepts petitions filed by citizens.
- Furnishes to the general public copies of all transcripts, legislation, orders, certificates, meeting notices and other matters of public information.
- Acts as a liaison with City departments, outside agencies, other branches of governments and the general public on behalf of City Council
- Responsible for the stenographic recording and transcription of City Council Legislative meetings, Committee meetings, Public Hearings, and other official City Council meetings and functions as required. The transcriptions of these proceedings are bound and maintained in the City Clerk's office as official records of the City of Pittsburgh. The records are available upon request for public reference and distribution.
- Responsible for documenting and following through of all requests of Council for information, documents and reports from various administrative units of municipal government, and maintains a file of the results of these requests.
- Responsible for the publication, updating and distribution of the Pittsburgh Code of Ordinances.
- Works in cooperation with the Department of General Services for the cable casting of all Council's Legislative and Committee Meetings, and Public Hearings and Post Agenda Meetings as specified by City Council.
Office of City Clerk
510 City-County Building | 414 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219